About the Center Of Science and Technology
THE CENTRE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY [COSAT]:
The school opened its doors in 1999 in response to the shortage of quality Maths and Science matriculants
from township schools in the Western Cape. Initially, COSAT offered only Grades
10 to 12 and students with mathematical talent would be invited to leave their high
schools at the end of Grade 9 to complete their school careers at COSAT.
The first matric class in 2001 set the precedent for the future with a 100% pass rate, an exemption rate of close to 70% and an impressive number of subject distinctions.
For the next ten years the school cemented its reputation as a centre of excellence and, as a result, the Western Cape Education Department [WCED] gave it the status of a STEM school [Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths Focus School], one of four in the province, and provided new buildings and the opportunity to expand to include all senior grades. As a result, COSAT became a more conventional secondary school in 2011, and its student complement has grown from + 200 to 550 in the last two years.
Vision and Mission Statements
COSAT Vision statement:
We at COSAT strive for excellence. We aim to create a learning environment that is current, creative and proactive where students are encouraged to engage critically in the areas of Mathematics, Science and Technology with the aim of becoming productive participants within local and global communities.
Our mission is to provide challenging educational opportunities of a high quality for our students who are drawn in and around Khayelitsha, to become extra-ordinary leaders who are competent and confident in their communities and broader society.
As part of our mission, we aim to:
- Provide opportunities for holistic development of the students
- Provide a safe learning environment in which students feel empowered to participate in their education
- Offer individual attention by enriching high performing students and supporting learners at risk
- Offer an exemplary model of education that is current, creative and proactive
- Put in place structures, policies and procedures that will support and enrich the teaching and learning process
- Support and provide opportunities for staff development
- Encourage parental involvement to bolster the programme of the school
- Develop environmental awareness and activism
- Form partnership with community organizations and universities in support if the school and its students, and in support of excellent education
- Mutual respect
Our values and beliefs include: